A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip.
I can’t believe I’m 27 today. I know that’s still young, but dang! I sure am getting close to 30. I still see myself as 23-24 years old.
Twenty-seven is just one of those years that is making me feel old. Changing from 25 to 26 felt like no big deal. This year feels like huge jump. A few months ago I noticed some very faint crow’s feet starting to appear, which really took me aback. But at least they are smile lines and not frown lines. I’d hate to have frown lines.
Let’s see… the past year included:
- Taking my first vacation in two years… and my first two-week vacation ever! Yes, with the then 60-pound 5 month old puppy.
- Going down to the St. Louis area to Huzzy’s hometown and seeing where he grew up
- Riding my first motorcycle ever
- Nearly being bounced off said motorcycle on the highway
- Huzzy completely moved in to my house.
- We learned that our orders were going to be to Washington state (versus southern Georgia). Yay!
- Had a yard sale.
- Decided I wanted to look into becoming a Navy Reserve Public Affairs Officer.
- Decided I wanted to pursue a Navy Reserve Public Affairs Officer commission.
- I dunno what happened… I was busy!
- Went to my second awards dinner/dance for the Navy recruiting district. Minus the dancing since they didn’t have that 😦
- Thanksgiving with my family… probably the last one for quite a while.
- Found out that our then 10-month-old puppy was 100% deaf. He was 85 pounds.
- Taught said puppy 6 signs in ASL in four days. Impressive!
- Had three interviews with Navy Public Affairs Officers– and Captains at that!
- One of those interviews I was very proud of. I called the Navy News Desk in Washington and asked the Lieutenant who answered the phone for help.
- From that phone call, I was set up with a Captain at the Pentagon. The PENTAGON. I flew to D.C. to do the interview. I had an interview IN THE PENTAGON!
- Sent my package into the board for review.
- Christmas with Huzzy’s family… probably the last for quite a while.
- I learned that I was selected in the January board as a Navy Reserve Public Affairs Officer.
- The fuzzy pup turned one and was 99 pounds.
- Did my physical for the Navy at MEPS.
- On February 13, Huzzy asked me to marry him. Yes, it was Friday the 13th. I hope that doesn’t mean anything bad!
- We set the date for our wedding… we only had 5 weeks to plan.
- Did a lot of planning!
- Lots more planning for the wedding.
- We were married on March 21, 2009.
- We went on a “honeymoon” which really wasn’t one since we were actually on house hunting leave.
- Huzzy checked out of his recruiting command.
- Celebrated Huzzy’s 29th birthday.
- Learned very quickly the bane of military wives everywhere: PCSing.
- Started sleeping on an air mattress & living with one broken couch, a TV, two pots and one baking dish. Talk about Spartan living!
- Said goodbye to my husband as he PCSed across the country without me.
- Dealt with some annoyances with WalMart and my mortgage company, U.S. Bank Home Mortgage.
- My commissioning documents arrived.
- Still sleeping on an air mattress.
- Started fixing up the house on my own.
- Started working a second job… actually, it’s where I currently work, just I work the ticket counter on the weekend.
- The fuzzy pup is nearly 1 1/2 years old and somewhere in the range of 110-115 pounds. I used to weigh that much… 9 years ago!
- Commissioned as a United States Navy Reserve Public Affairs Officer.
- Continued sleeping on an air mattress… that loses a lot of air each night. My back is saying “ouch!”
- Continued fixing up the house on my own in hopes to put it on the market this month.
Wow… lots has happened in just 12 months. This next year is going to see even more changes and fun and I’m really looking forward to it.