And the Toe Came Back, the Very Next Day…

If you have health, you probably will be happy, and if you have health and happiness, you have all the wealth you need, even if it is not all you want.
~Elbert Hubbard

And so the saga of the toe comes to a close, or at least I hope so.  But let’s back up some.

So I went to Washington state to drill with my new unit. This one is a public affairs unit and its sole job is to do the job that I’ve been doing in the civilian world and the job I signed up for in the Navy Reserves. I was so excited!

My new unit is fantastic (not saying my last one wasn’t, but this one is more exciting since I get to actually do things). The CO (or OIC… Officer in Charge… as they call it in this unit) is really great.  And the XO, well… that turns out to be ME since I’m the only other officer in the unit.  Yeah, the Ensign who has no military experience and has yet to go to officer school, is the XO… or the AOIC (Assistant Officer in Charge).

Very weird, but I’m very excited and ready for the challenge.

So, I went to the drill weekend armed with a doctor’s note saying that I was not allowed to do any extreme physical activity since my toe wasn’t any better and was, in fact, getting worse.  It was PRT (Physical Readiness Test) weekend and I knew I couldn’t do it. I also haven’t been able to run, do push ups or even sit ups for nearly three months, so there was NO WAY I could even pass it right now.

I had heard that according to Navy regulations, if you were new to the unit (within 10 weeks), that you didn’t have to take the PRT. I wasn’t sure, so I wanted to make sure I was legit in not doing it.  Well, those regulations are true but my OIC wanted me to take my note down to medical anyway.

While I was down in medical, I talked to them about an opportunity that was presented to me by my OIC (more about that in another post).  They noticed that I had NO medical record on file, which surprised me since I had a full physical, along with a bunch of blood tests, when I went to MEPS back in February.  But I learned that none of that counts and you have to do it all over again.

Luckily, I brought my civilian immunization record and they actually accepted it.  However, I still had to get the flu shot, the Hep A shot, the TB test and the HIV/Sickle Cell blood draw (even though that happened in February).  Unfortunately, I got a local reaction the flu shot, but it’s fine.  Weird because I’ve never had a problem with it before, but oh well.

Anyway, while I was down in medical, they told me I was TNPQed (temporarily not physically qualified) due to my toe and the fact that I don’t have a dental on my medical record… but that’s fine since my six month cleaning is due now and I can just get the dentist to fill out a form.

I really wanted to be considered physically qualified since I have that opportunity mentioned coming up. I had an appointment with a dermatologist set up for more than a month for yesterday. I went there with the hope that he could fix my toe.

And fix it  he did… or at least I hope so.  Yeah, so it definitely was a granuloma  of some sort (can’t remember what he said) and he just told his nurse that it was going to come off that day.  And that’s what they did… or rather his LPN did.

If you are squeamish, skip the rest of the post (no photos, I promise!)!

The LPN came in and told me that she was going to numb my toe and that it was going to sting and burn. She sure wasn’t joking!  If you have been reading my blog for long, you know that I have a thing with people touching my feet… I can’t stand it! So not only was she touching my feet, but she was sticking a needle into the side/bottom of one of my toes.  The toe that had a very tender growth on it.

Now, I have a high tolerance for pain. When the needle went in, I was okay for a moment. But then she started pushing the Lidocane and Oh. My. God.  I actually yelled. I can’t remember what I yelled but it was along the lines of, “Aaaaah! OH MY GOD! OWWWW! OWWW!”

Yeah, that needle had to go in my toe twice. Ouch. I did apologize to the LPN but she just waived me off and said she totally understood and that she knew it hurt really bad and that she was sorry she had to do it.

My toe quickly numbed and she then cut out the granuloma and cauterized the hole.  The doctor told me that I’d definitely, no-problem-what-so-ever, be 100% fit for duty with no restrictions by the end of the month. Which is awesome.

I walked out of the clinic (well, it was easy since my toe was completely numb!). This morning, it was very, very sore and I had a very pronounced limp but this evening I’m finding that the limp is going away quite quickly.  I’m sure by the weekend I’ll probably not even have a bandage on it.

It’s 23:30 right now so I need to get to bed. We are moving offices at work tomorrow (boo… I just lost my own office and have to share now with the girl who was hired as my replacement… at least she seems to be pretty awesome) and I will need the strength.



One thought on “And the Toe Came Back, the Very Next Day…

  1. Wow, sounds exciting (the opportunity, not the toe so much, although that must have been a relief after all the needle sticking and stuff). Glad that you’re on the road to recovery!!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s