A birthday is just the first day of another 365-day journey around the sun. Enjoy the trip.
Yesterday was my 28th birthday. And the second birthday in a row that Huzzy wasn’t here for. Of course, I know there will be many more in the future.
Things that I wonder about for the next year:
- I wonder if I’ll be sent on an IA. And if so… where? Will it be Iraq? Afghanistan? Kuwait? Gitmo? Most likely it’ll be Afghanistan since 60% of IA billets for my community are going there.
- What will it be like in Afghanistan? I’ve heard that they aren’t letting the Navy “outside the wires” much… rather as support inside the FOB.
- I wonder when I’ll go. Will it end up with poor timing where I’ll get to send very little time with Huzzy (like, leave just as he’s coming back from his own deployment)? Or will I get lucky and get to spend more than two months with him at a time?
- I wonder what will happen with the dogs while we are both gone. I have no idea what we’ll do.
- I wonder if I’m going to find a job.
- I wonder if we are going to buy a house.
- I wonder if we’ll start trying to have a baby if I don’t go on an IA (unlikely that I won’t go on one, though)
- I wonder how many new friends I’ll meet in the next year.
- I wonder if my shoulder will finally heal once and forever.
- I wonder how much the love I feel for my new state will grow.
What do you wonder about for your life in the next year?
And because I love these… here’s a look back to 1982 and what was shakin’ then:
- American President: Ronald Reagan
- UK Prime Minister: Margaret Thatcher
- Year End Close Dow Jones Industrial Average: 1046
- Interest Rates Year End Federal Reserve: 11.50%
- Average Cost of new house: $82,200
- Average Income per yea:r $21,050
- Average Monthly Rent $320
- Cost of a gallon of Gas: 91 cents
- New Car Average price: $7,983
- US Postage Stamp: 20 cents
- First USA Today issue was published
- Tylenol capsules laced with potassium cyanide kill 7 in Chicago around September 29th
- Yassar Arafat elected the President of the Palestinian National Council
- Doctors performed the first implant of a permanent artificial heart designed by Robert Jarvik
- Severe recession begins in the United States.
- The Vietnam Veterans Memorial in Washington DC is dedicated
- The first CD player is sold in Japan.
- The Weather Channel airs on cable television for the first time.
- Time’s “Man of the Year” is THE COMPUTER.
- 1982 was the year a computer scientist ( Scott Fahlman ) from Carnegie Mellon University first suggested the use of Smiley or emoticon as a way of expressing emotion in an email : – )
- Michael Jackson released his second solo adult album solo Thriller.
- Popular films included: ET, the Extra-Terrestrial; Rocky III; An Officer and a Gentleman; Poltergeist and Annie.
We’ve come a long way, baby!