The whole inspiration of our life as a nation flows out from the waving folds of this banner.
It’s been nine years. I’m sure we can all pinpoint where we were when we heard about the Twin Towers being hit. And then the Pentagon. And then a crash in a Pennsylvania field. And, of course, the fall of the Twin Towers. I sure can.
I was in college. A resident assistant to freshmen girls. I remember the panic, the absolute feeling of vulnerability… that my great nation had actually been penetrated by an enemy–something that hadn’t been seen for two generations. Since Pearl Harbor. Though I was far away from what was happening, looking back, it made me grow up a bit. And I learned that we didn’t live in a peaceful, idyllic world.
I remember just after it happened, you couldn’t go anywhere without seeing houses upon houses proudly flying the American flag. Everyone did. I often wonder what happened to that… will it take another tragedy to make people patriotic again?
Today commemorates that day nine years ago. It was proclaimed Patriot Day by President Bush in 2002 and signed into law not too long after. And in honor of Patriot Day, I’m offering a giveaway, courtesy of CVS Flags. CVS Flags has graciously offered my readers a chance for one to win a 3×5 U.S. Flag or a Military Flag.
And you know what is extra awesome about CVS Flags? All their flags are made right here in America!
Overseas and thinking you can’t enter? You’re wrong… they ship to APO addresses, so join in the contest!
The contest will run from today through 11:59 p.m. PST on Friday, September 17, 2010.
You have several ways to enter the contest. First and foremost, you must leave a comment telling me which flag you’d choose and why. Once you leave a comment, you can also earn additional entries by:
- Become a follower of this blog and leave a comment letting me know you are.
- Write a blog post (with link to this post) about this contest and leave a comment linking back to your blog post.
- Tweet about it (with a link to this post) and leave a comment with your tweet URL. You can do this up to twice a day.
If you start today, that gives you 17 chances to win!
Okay, now for the rules:
- You must make a comment and tell me which flag you’d choose and why. If you win, you don’t necessarily have to stick to this choice, so don’t stress over it.
- For EVERY entry, you must add a new comment. If you answer #1 and tell me you are a blog follower in one comment, that will only count as one entry.
- The winner will be chosen by Random.org.
- I need to contact the winner somehow, so if you don’t leave a link to your blog, please leave an e-mail address! If I can’t contact you, I’ll be choosing someone else.
Good luck! Oh, and I should tell you that CVS Flags is kindly providing me with a flag of my own in return for this contest. I’m totally excited about receiving mine!