An apple a day keeps the doctor away.
I made this recipe the other day and it’s absolutely divine. I’m not exactly sure where I got it because I wrote it down a while ago.
This is perfect for anyone… even toddlers. I gave a batch of it to my friend who has a toddler and they nearly fought over it!
And bonus… it makes your house smell a-mazing!
- 8 large apples (I used Gala and they were perfect… not too sweet, not too tart)
- 5-6 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2-3 teaspoons of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar
- Skin the apples and cut into quarters (take the cores out, of course) and place into slow cooker.
- Add in the liquid ingredients and mix.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours. At about 4 1/2 hours, I mashed up the apples with a potato masher and let them cook for the rest of the six hours. The six hours to me was perfect… still some small chunks of apple, but the chunks were so soft that they melted in your mouth. Perfect for a little kid because they won’t choke… or an adult like me who likes stuff that actually tastes homemade and not totally processed.
This made somewhere around six to eight cups of applesauce. I froze some of it and it was still awesome (and was a great frozen treat as it was thawing!)
Enjoy… let me know how it works out for you!