Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini bread, and pumpkin pie.
Huzzy loves carrot cake. It’s his favorite dessert. So for his birthday (and just before he left on last deployment… not this one, but the one previous), I made a homemade carrot cake for him. Complete with homemade cream cheese frosting.
This recipe came from a lovely restaurant in my hometown that has since closed down (obviously not because of this awesome carrot cake!)
1/4 cup oil
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup crushed pineapple (drained)
2 cups shredded carrots
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Bake in a 9″ x 13″ greased and floured pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until done.
Cream Cheese Frosting
8 ounces of cream cheese
1/4 cup of margarine
1 1/2 to 2 pounds of confectioners (powdered) sugar
- Melt margarine.
- Beat margarine in with cream cheese.
- Add powdered sugar as desired.
- Uh… don’t put the frosting on the cake until the cake is cooled 😉
Note: This frosting is awesome, but it is sweet and rich!