I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble.
Oh man oh man, oh man! You have no idea how excited I am about this. I looove Christmas.
I have always loved Secret Santa. I love the slyly learning about the person you are getting a gift for and finding things about them and finding that absolutely perfect gift that just screams them.
So, this year I’m going to be hosting the very first (that I know of) MilSpouse Secret Santa (yes, fiancees and girlfriends can sign up as well!). I can’t wait to see what everyone gets for each other. This is going to be something that I will match on my end so no one will know who each other has. I’m going to start matching after the first week and if we get more people signing up after that, then I’ll do subsequent matches but they will not go past Saturday, November 12th (and it is subject to close before then).
I hope you all are excited about this. I really want everyone to have fun with this.
However, because I’ve been a part of several online Secret Santas and we did the MilSpouse Secret Santa last year, I know that rules must be set… but I know all you lovely spouses won’t need them because you are so incredibly awesome. But this way, we are all playing by the same rules.
- The first rule is to HAVE F UN.
- The gift is to be a $20 gift. This does not mean you have to SPEND $20 just because you got an awesome deal. Or, if you are one of those crafty people who I envy, if what you make is worth $20… that is just fine! If you spend more than $20, that’s fine, just know that others will be getting you a $20 gift. Oh, and if you do decide to go over… let’s not get too carried away.
- The $20 does not include shipping. Shipping is extra. We have several MilSpouses who live overseas, so if you are willing to ship overseas (though I believe most of them have APOs), please let me know on the signup form.
- If you don’t get “as good of a gift” as you’d like, please don’t complain or be snarky because this is not what the holiday season is about. If you don’t receive a gift at all, please let me know ASAP.
- If you are matched with someone and find out later you are not able to participate for any reason, please let me know ASAP.
- In order for the gifts to arrive on time, OCONUS gifts will need to be sent by Saturday, December 10th via Priority Mail (you don’t have to ship Priority if you send this earlier), except for those places beginning with a zip code of 093, which will need to be sent by Saturday, December 3rd.
- Reveal who you are when you send the gift… or afterward. While this is a Secret Santa until gift time, I’d love for you to know who your awesome match is.
- Please thank your Secret Santa for your gift. Please. Either via mail, e-mail or by a post on your blog. I know you all won’t forget to do this because you all are so awesome!
- Also, please email me when you have shipped your item. That way, I know you’re done! wifeofasailor(at)gmail(dot)com
- Don’t be afraid to post anonymously on your recipients blog asking questions. Or have a friend do it. Or sign up for a free mail account and email your recipient questions. Or, as a last resort, feel free to ask me to email them a question for you. Be creative, be fun. For my Secret Santas, I usually create an “evil elf” who asks questions in rhyme. Lots of questions so the person has no idea what I’m even trying to ask about.
- Be creative. Find something that they love. Send something from your home state or where you currently live.
- Send cards to your recipient as the days get closer… hint (or don’t!) at what an awesome gift they are about to receive. Everyone loves to get something in the mail!
- Pleaaaaase show off what you got on your blog… I’m going to live vicariously through all of you.
Okay, now that you see all the awesome things we have to offer…. are you ready?