Huzzy had his three month follow-up SA after his varicocelectomy Friday. He didn’t call to get numbers that day (which is frustrating for my Type A personality). I called my RE today to let them know that he had his follow-up and the results should be in the system.
**Note: Huzzy had his surgery done through the Naval hospital… the RE is at the Army base an hour south of us, so they can “see” his SA results if they look, but they wouldn’t exactly know they were there unless I tell them to look because they didn’t order them. **
Within a few hours, the RE nurse called me back and let me know that they weren’t ignoring me, but that the RE would call me personally to discuss the results. Cue panic. You see, the nurse has always been the one to deliver results of everything except the development of our embryos during the IVF cycle. Every SA result, good and bad, was delivered by the nurse.
So, of course, the RE doesn’t call until after 3 p.m. because that’s when they have time to call everyone back.
The results were both good and bad. The good? Huzzy’s morphology is more than 30%. They consider above 15% normal. His morphology has never been more than 8-9% and, in fact, during IVF, it was 6%. So more than a five percent increase? Awesome. Morphology is one of the things that can be affected with a varicocele.
The bad news is that his overall numbers are bad. Worse than during IVF. This is not good. Not good at all.
There’s a chance this was a fluke… the morphology and/or the numbers. So he’ll have a repeat SA next week. If the numbers are steady, then that means the morphology is definitely better. It’s only been three months since his surgery, so his overall numbers can increase up to a year after surgery. It may just mean that they need more time. Or, it could mean that this is what we are dealing with. Only time will tell.
The results of the second SA will tell us how to proceed with the next cycle (I’m on CD3). We have a few options:
- Do a full COH (injectable) cycle with IUI
– Pro: Gives us more chances for better/multiple eggs.
– Con: We will have to pay for the medication, plus the IUI. Around $2,000. This will be suggested if Huzzy’s total motile numbers do not increase.
- Do a full COH cycle with TI
– Pro: Gives us more chances for better/multiple eggs. TriCare will not make us pay for the medication since it isn’t used “unnaturally.”
– Con: We can only do this if Huzzy’s total motile numbers increase.
- Do a hybrid cycle, with Femara and COH, and with or without IUI
– Pro: Gives us a chance to possibly get more/better eggs. TriCare will not make us pay for the medication since it is only three days of COH and therefore not “unnatural” (don’t ask me to understand this reasoning).
– Con: It might not be enough to get over whatever “unexplained” infertility I have, and might not be enough to help Huzzy’s swimmers. We’ll also have to pay for the IUI, but that in itself is only about $200.
So I guess we’ll see what comes up when Huzzy has his next SA. Once again… hurry up and wait. Gotta love how both the military and infertility make you do that.