The Great Wait… For Orders

It’s that time. Time to start thinking about deployments and care packages and how I’m going to adjust to solo parenting without any communication with my husband for months at a time.

Yup… we are in the window for our orders (and yes, OUR orders because as a MilSpouse, I’m included on those orders). Huzzy will be detaching his current command in November and should have to report sometime in December.

Besides a three year tour recruiting in Michigan (which was kinda his choice), he has been stationed here in Washington state ever since he completed his training. That’s more than 10 years here, total. There are only two places he can be stationed (besides recruiting), and that’s here and Kings Bay, Georgia. KB is the armpit of Georgia… it’s 40 miles north of Jacksonville, Florida, so it’s definitely southern Georgia. It’s located on a built-up swamp and is a pretty isolated area.

It’s always been easy to stay in Washington because, for some reason, many people would prefer to go to Georgia (maybe because they like the heat or closer to family, etc), and 60% of the submarines are stationed in Washington. Never been an issue.

Until now.

Huzzy’s ability to look/shop for orders was supposed to open on the 1st, but now it’s been pushed back to the evening of the 13th. However, he talked to the detailer and was already asked if he’d go to KB… and to the least desirable boat type as well. He’d be miserable. Absolutely miserable.

We do not, under any circumstances, want to go to KB. Besides the fact that we love it here in Washington and absolutely hate weather in the south, we have a house here, my mom is considering moving here to help me with Skipper once she’s born (and she will not move to Georgia as she hates the heat as much as I do), and it’ll be financially detrimental to us. I have been planning on starting my own communication consulting business after she’s born, which I wouldn’t be able to do if we moved until after we moved and got really settled and THEN had to start fresh with no contacts. We also have a house that, due to the current market, would cost us several hundred a month even if we were able to rent it out… on top of the rent in KB that we’d have to do. I’ve looked at rentals there and, like here, the BAH is several hundred dollars shy of what we’d need to rent a house. So we’d be out probably at least $500 a month between the two… and BAH is more than $200 lower there. So that’s approaching $1,000 less in the budget. Not do-able.

I could get an additional job, of course (on top of Jamberry and my Navy Reserve stuff)… but the closest city where that would be possible is 45 minutes away with no traffic. Commuter traffic would probably make it in the hour one-way commute. Plus, then there’d be daycare expenses as well that would eat into it.

And really, I realize that this is something all military spouses go through, but when you have been told (and have 10+ years of personal experience behind it) that you’d never have to leave… it’s a rough transition of thought. On top of that, I’m, of course, just about two weeks away from full term and five weeks from my due date. I have enough to worry about without this unexpected stress.

I just hope Huzzy can grab orders to something here. Even if it is the least desirable boat.

 

Signature

What I’m Giving Up For Lent

When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn.
~Harriet Beecher Stowe

Dear World,

I have thought long and hard about it and I’ve decided I would like to give stress up for Lent. I think I could sacrifice what has been a constant in my life for the past couple years. I mean, I’m at least willing to try.

Unfortunately, with my heart dog possibly having a tumor/cancer and may have to be put down, a house that doesn’t seem to want to close because of stupid banks who were supposed have this paperwork completed SEVEN MONTHS AGO, landlords that can’t seem to tell us if we can stay longer in the house and may only give us a few days’ notice to leave, me still being on unemployment (and since I’ve just passed the year mark, I’m getting really depressed about that) and other stuff… I’m not sure if that’s even possible.

Maybe, instead, I should just give up my sanity for Lent. Yes, my sanity. It seems to be leaving me anyway. That is what I’m giving up for Lent.

Let’s just hope it comes back AFTER Lent. Seriously.

Signed,
Wifey, who doesn’t want to be a homeless-jobless-heartdogless, person next week.

 

 

P.S. My only saving grace is that Huzzy is home right now. I’m not sure I could do this without his support. I hate that they are in hard-core training again for their right-around-the-corner deployment. It feels like he just got back a few weeks ago. Oh wait… he did.

I’m a Slacker

When I look at my hands and in my heart, I see stress as Lady Macbeth saw blood.
~Berri Clove

Yeah, I have been avoiding posting a real blog post for a few reasons. First of all, Huzzy was on leave for two glorious weeks where we just hung out, slept in and spent time with one another. And we didn’t kill each other, ya’ll. Wow!

The other thing is that we are in the middle of buying a house and there’s been a lot of stress  involved with that. I know house buying is stressful (heck, I’ve been through this before five years ago!) but this is just ridiculous. I don’t want to go into all of it, but suffice to say there are a few hiccups and hoops we have to jump through that most don’t and they were supposed to be cleared up by now. But they aren’t.

Add to the fact that our landlords from hell (okay, to be honest, they’ve left us alone since July, but before that, they were hellish enough to encompass 10 years of stress) have sent us a letter that they aren’t renewing our lease after 28FEB. We knew it was a possibility because they were thinking of moving back into the house themselves after a year. But that leaves us without a back-up.

Our house is supposed to close on 24FEB. That leaves just four days to move into it. If it happens. If it doesn’t, well, we are only three weeks away from the end of our lease. We should know in the next week if the house isn’t going to happen. If it doesn’t, we are going to have to try and find a house that will allow three large dogs and people who don’t quite have perfect credit (though we do qualify for a mortgage, so it’s not that horrible).

That’s not an easy task. Most places only allow small dogs. What the heck is up with that? Do they realize that small dogs are generally yappier and, in general, have a harder time being potty trained? I mean, they have smaller bladders so they tend to have the potential of having more accidents. Granted, if they have an accident it’s not as big, but still. I don’t get the big/small dog thing. My dogs sleep 22 hours a day with just enough time in the day left over to eat twice, have some pets and take a lap around the yard before coming in and collapsing again for the next 22 hours. Heck, we generally have to WAKE them up in the morning to go outside. Because they just want to sleep.

So if our house falls through, we’ll have just a week or two to find a house. If we can’t (we all know how long the application process, etc can take), then we might be homeless for a while. As in… sleeping in our vehicles with our dogs and putting our stuff in storage or on a Uhaul or something until we found a place that would take us.

I’m nervous. Most of you who have been reading my blog/following me on Twitter for more than a year know our luck is horrible at best. And for some reason, while I love our house we have the offer on, I just can’t seem to PICTURE us living there. Totally different than when I bought my last house. I could easily see myself living there. And that scares me. We could really use some good thoughts and prayers that this works out.

In other news, I’m supposed to be going to the Centennial of Naval Aviation in San Diego later this week to work in my Navy capacity. I say supposed to because, true to form, my orders haven’t been even touched yet. And I’m supposed to leave in 3 days. If it happens, it’ll be great to be in the 70 degree sunny weather. Time to soak up some Vitamin D! Woot!

When I get back, Huzzy is going to have ANOTHER week off. Yes, indeed, that’s THREE WEEKS off. They are getting an extra week off because his boat won a big award. Of course it’s not like they are getting the leave for free, it still counts against their balance, but they are allowed to take it if they have it. And boy does Huzzy have it. He still has 85 days on the books (before his previous two weeks’ leave) so he has a ton. That’s what happens when you are deployed so often.  He has to use up something like 5 more weeks this year or he’ll lose it at the end of the fiscal year (because they get 30 more days over the course of the fiscal year).

So that’s what’s been going on with me. Long post, I know. LOL.